Quantcast

SEARCH FOR TUBE AMP SUPPLIES IN GOOGLE CUSTOM SEARCH BELOW

Custom Search

Saturday, May 13, 2006



Sound Clips: pentatonics and power chords

Ok- with fear and trepidation I post these clips. Hopefully they will highlight some of the cool sonic possibilities of this cool amp, and not distract you with my sub-par playing.

Here is my set-up for the sound clips (very atypical):
GUITAR: a 2001 Route 101 Solimar Custom; strat style with 2 Seymour Duncan hotrail pu's at the neck and bridge w/ a push-push coil-split on the tone pots to go from single to humbucker. SPEAKER CAB: funky Rickenbacker Road bass cab combo with amp torn out (see pic) and no-name 15" 8 ohm speaker I scrounged at my favorite music store here in Seattle The Tradingmusican.

RECORDING GEAR: mic- Samson Q1 condenser>Hosa mixer>Tascam US122 interface>iBook G4>Garageband>itunes>128kps mp3.

Clip 1- THE HUM: this is what my amp sounded like before I put in the 100 ohm filament hum reduction resistors. Painful, I know...

Clip 2- BLUES IN G: 2 track examp. of me playing a blues progession on rhythm with my guitar on neck pu and lead part on the bridge pu. Amp has one Electro Harmonix 6V6GT power tube in place and a GE 12AT7 in the preamp socket with the volume and tone set at 12:00. Boost switch set to 25uF cap.

Clip 3- POWER CHORD NOODLING: This is me noolding around with an RCA NOS 6K6GT power tube I got from Antique Electronic Supply (see pic). Same settings on amp, and various combinations of pu's on the guitar. I really like this little tube.

I think toward the end of the noodling clip, I moved the mic further away from the speaker cab and cranked it up to max. This thing puts out the volume. I really like how I can go from clean to dirty by adusting my volume on the guitar. With a 12AX7, you can get more crunch. I mainly prefer a blues/classic rock overdrive. I like finding speakers cheap and putting them into used amp combos, hence the 15" speaker. I think it breaks up great.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Ken,

The clips sound great. I like the clean tones, which are very sparkly and clear - especially for a 15 inch no-name speaker. I also like the growl of the bass. Lots of richness, but still well-defined.

Did you pay a lot of attention to the particular tubes you bought - brand, rating, etc? And to biasing?

Also, did you overdub the blues track or are there two players?

Al

PS. It's cool the way showed the hum and then made it disappear.

Ken Pendergrass said...

Hi Al-

Thanks for suffering through my playing. About choosing tubes: I honestly picked the least expensive ones. My only criteria was to have each particular type of octal power tube I could use with this cathode-bias design- meaning, no need to re-bias for the following tubes:6V6,6L6,EL34,KT66,6550A,6K6GT, and an EL84 I use with a THD Yellow Jacket adapter. I have at least one of each of these tubes. I did over tube the blues track using Garagband.